Nurse: Gerri Porter
SCHOOL NURSE GOALS:
The primary goal of the school nurse in Long Beach Unified School District is to ensure optimum health of students so that they are better able to attain their learning potentials. This includes the following services:
1. Early detection and follow-up of health problems
2. Health counseling/anticipatory guidance and education
3. Care of ill and injured students
4. Identification and control of communicable disease
5. Assisting and planning appropriate educational placement of students
6. Writing individualized health care plans and/or "504" health plans
H1N1 Information (Swine Flu)
• Stay home if you are sick or exhibit flu-like respiratory symptoms (including
fever, aches, cough, and runny nose). Please communicate all absences clearly
to our schools.
• Wash hands frequently and cover coughs and sneezes carefully.
• Stay at least three feet away from those who are sick.
• Remain calm at all times and help children to do the same.
Although the district will be conducting business as usual, we urge families to plan ahead
in case of an emergency and make all arrangements for child care at home if it is needed.
Any school closure decision would be made carefully with guidance from the Long Beach
Department of Health and Human Services and communicated to you immediately.
We know that this is an anxious time for our community. Please rest assured that we are
taking prudent precautions to protect the well-being of all students and staff members.
Families will be updated in a timely manner as new information becomes available. For
other details, visit the district website at www.lbschools.net, where we have established a
special page dedicated to H1N1 swine flu. If you have a specific question after reviewing
this information, you may call the LBUSD flu hotline at 997-8000, ext. 7176.
Thank you for your continued support of our schools.
Christopher J. Steinhauser
Superintendent of Schools