Course Description: 7th Grade
This course is designed to assist students in obtaining accurate information, developing lifelong positive
attitudes and behaviors, and making wise decisions related to their personal health. Study will include
personal and community health; mental, emotional, and social health; injury prevention and safety; nutrition
and physical activity; alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs; growth, development, and sexual health. Central
themes are the acceptance of personal responsibility for lifelong health, respect for and promotion of the
health of others, an understanding of the process of growth and development, and informed use of healthrelated
information, products, and services.
• Explore health concepts in depth.
• Analyze and solve real-life health problems.
• Work cooperatively on tasks that develop and enhance their conceptual understanding of health.
• Develop lifelong positive attitudes and behaviors related to health.
• Incorporate health-related knowledge into everyday behavior.
• Understand the effects of personal behavior on the health and well-being of others.
• Understanding the influence that people have on the environment and the way in which elements with
the environment affect the health of groups and individuals.
• Express concern for the health of others in the family, school, peer group, and community.
• Understand the aspects of physical, mental, emotional, and social growth and development common to
all people as well as those aspects that are unique to individuals.
• Think critically about health-related information and be a selective consumer of health-related services
• Continue the development of critical thinking skills, especially decision-making.
• Explore career options in health.