Origin of Bancroft
The school first began when the seventh and eighth grades moved over from Lakewood Elementary School in 1942. Then in the year of 1943, the ninth grade was added, making this into a junior high school. Music was always a big part of Bancroft. The first orchestra, consisting of sixteen members, was created on January 7, 1944. The musical groups have always excelled in concert and in competition.
In February 1945, the school moved to 5301 Centralia Street. Later, in July of the same year, the school became apart of the Long Beach Unified School District.
In 1950, the gymnasium was completed; before this, students had to play on the field, auditorium, or needed to run over to Long Beach City College to use the locker rooms and showers.
Another interesting fact is that the beaver became the school mascot in 1955. Our mascot now is the Bancroft Bruin which was voted for in 1985. A few classes Bancroft used to offer (but no longer) are metal shop, wood shop, and foreign language classes. Overall, Bancroft has changed a lot over time and has grown since 1942.